Getting noticed by your crush is easy when you compare it to the grueling task of going live on TikTok. While you can make a regular TikTok for lip-syncing that you are a “Tracer” or for making absurd slapstick comedy, live streaming on the platform comes with a few hurdles. It’s as simple as tapping a button. However, you need to fill in some requirements before you can do that.
What are the requirements to go live on TikTok?
With the intuitive user interface of TikTok, if you have trouble live streaming on TikTok, it’s because you aren’t able to. Before the merger, you needed to install live.ly to broadcast live videos to your followers on musical.ly. However, since the TikTok and musical.ly merger, that was purged out. Now you need at least 1000 followers to be eligible for live streaming. Moreover, there is an age requirement. While 13 is the minimum age required to make an account, you need to be 16 or older to go live. Hence, if you fail not to fulfill either of those requirements, you can’t use the feature.
The good thing about TikTok live stream is that if you are an adult over 18, you can also receive “virtual gifts” from your fans. The gifts come in various shapes and forms and are a form of digital currency converted into real cash. The exchange rate may be disappointing, but hey, it’s something!
Why can’t I go live on TikTok with 1000 fans?
While the official requirement is 1000 followers, you will find numerous claims from people complaining that they couldn’t go live before reaching 2000 or even 5000 followers. This may be because TikTok may require a manual review for your account or something else hidden behind the TikTok algorithm.
How to go live in TikTok on your Android or iPhone
Whether you have an Android smartphone or an iPhone, the steps for going live on TikTok are the same.
- Open the TikTok app and log in to your account with your details
- At the bottom of the screen, you will find a + icon. Click on that
- After the video screen opens up, you should be able to find a “Live” button next to the recording button if you have fulfilled TikTok’s requirements for going live
- After you tap on the “Live” button, add a quirky title to your live stream so that your fans can know about it
- Make sure to avoid banned words like a duet, drama queen, BFF, donation, and other such words on the title
- When you are ready, tap on the “Go Live” button and stream to your fans
How to go live on TikTok without 1000 followers
While numerous people have reported that they could go live even before aggregating the 1000 followers, there is no solid proof that this can be done. The “Live” button doesn’t even appear if you don’t meet the age and follower requirements set by TikTok. This has even created a black market of sorts where services will work to increase your subscriber pool quickly for a fee. While this practice may seem unfair, TikTok hasn’t been able to crack down on such services. So, it would help if you focused on amplifying your reach to increase your follower count.
How to get more followers on TikTok to become eligible for live streaming on TikTok
- Know your audience – Forty percent of TikTok users are Gen-Zers between the age of 16 to 24. To get noticed by more people, you need to create content that caters to that audience. While dance videos and lip-syncing dominates the platform, with the right niche that can be delivered in the form of “bite-sized” videos, you should be able to increase your loyal follower pool.
- Get on that trend – With its own genre of videos, viral trends are created and destroyed overnight on TikTok. You would see numerous variations of the same video with a different take. So, get on that trend with a creative angle, and you may be able to stand out on the platform.
- Create your own trend – Trends need to start somewhere. People do it without knowing that they would become a celebrity tomorrow, and mainstream celebrities are catching on. Brands also want in on it, as it may be evident from Chipotle’s #ChipotleLipFlip challenge. You can do the same by creating a catchy yet easy challenge to be inclusive and within reach for most people.
- Hashtags – Hashtags are unavoidable if you want to get more people to follow you on any social media platform. With a combination of general hashtags and content-specific hashtags, you can make your videos more discoverable.
- Post during peak times – When you post our videos during peak times or when your target audience is most active, you increase your discoverability by a significant margin. To research peak times for your audience, you can use the TikTok Analytics Tool. However, it would help if you had a TikTok Pro subscription for that.
- Cross-promote on other social media platforms – Unlike other social media platforms, downloading your own and videos from other accounts is very easy. You can post those videos on Instagram, Snapchat, and other social media channels where you have a stronger following to attract some new followers on TikTok.
- TikTok Ads – It may be in its infancy, but TikTok Ads show a lot of potentials. You can target regions, demographics, and more to reach a relevant audience.
TikTok was the most downloaded app of 2020, and that has inspired other platforms to emulate that success with their 15-second video segments. It can make you an overnight celebrity, and spending time on the platform to grow your personal brand is well worth it. If you don’t have 1000 followers, you should try to gain more followers quickly with the above-mentioned tips. However, if you aren’t 16, you should refrain from it since that rule was clearly designed to protect many minors that use the platform. Waiting a few years is better than an account ban.