Twitter is a great social media channel to join spaces, start conversations, and share your thoughts.
But how about Twitter for businesses? Is the platform beneficial for brands?
Well, the answer is yes!
Using Twitter, you can reach your potential customers, land sales, and gather positive feedback.
But most businesses don’t know how to use this platform properly to get the most out of it. If you know how to use Twitter for business the right way, it can be a more powerful platform for you than any other social media platform.
That’s why in this post, we’ve explained how you should use Twitter for your business and how you can promote your business on Twitter.
So, without further ado, let’s jump in!
With more than 396.5 million users, Twitter brought $3.72 billion in revenue in 2020. 96% of the US users access the platform at least monthly.
82% of B2B content marketers used the platform for organic content marketing, and that’s why Twitter’s ad revenue is up by 15%.
Based on the above stats, it’s easy to state that Twitter is an amazing social media marketing platform to promote your business.
Not convinced yet?
Here are some reasons why you should use Twitter for your business:
- Twitter helps you build relationships with your customers. You can use the platform to interact with them get feedback and testimonials.
- Twitter is a great place for organic marketing. The platform is free to use, so you don’t have to pay thousands to get results. Simply post a tweet and reach your potential customers.
- Twitter is not just for posting fun content or memes. You can use it to promote your products, blogs, and services.
Now that you know why Twitter is the best platform for your business, here are some strategies you can follow to use it more effectively.
1. Figure Out Your Ideal Audience
217 million. That’s the number of daily active users on Twitter in 2022.
Now finding your ideal audience among these millions of users can be challenging. But, it’s the first step you have to take if you wish to market your business on Twitter.
That’s why your first job would be to figure out who your ideal audience is.
What are their characteristics? How will you find value from them?
To find your ideal audience on Twitter, make sure to understand the concept first. A perfect audience indicates the people interested in your business, products, or services.
For example, work or project management tool Trello’s ideal audience are businesses, marketers, individuals, and teams of all sizes who are looking for effective task and project management solutions.
Before using Twitter for your business, you must understand why figuring out your ideal audience is crucial. For starters:
- Knowing your ideal audience will help you create targeted ad campaigns on Twitter.
- You’ll invest your time and money in relevant customers.
- An ideal audience base will help you build a solid brand voice that reaches a specific group of people.
And to identify your ideal audience, you can depend on twitter’s Advanced Search.
With this feature, you can track what your audience is searching for. You can use advanced search to know what people say about your businesses, services, or products.
Among 217 million users, you can use Twitter’s filtering features to narrow down your target or ideal audience. You can search your audience on Twitter using filters like location, language, phrases, and hashtags.
Another way you can figure out your ideal audience is through various tools. There are tons of marketing tools available in the market that allow you to research your target audience at ease.
Once you find your ideal customers or followers, don’t forget to interact with them. Ensure to engage with your audience and build relationships to grow your business proactively.
Once you decide to use Twitter for your business, invest time to optimize your Twitter profile the right way.
Your profile is the first thing your customers will notice about your brand on Twitter. That’s why choosing the right image, username, and bio is a crucial marketing strategy.
You can take the email marketing brand Mailchimp’s example here. The brand has one of the best optimized Twitter profiles.
From their brand logo as a profile picture to perfect banner images and catchy bio, they’ve successfully showcased their brand’s personality on Twitter.
Just like Mailchimp, you can optimize your Twitter profile effectively by following these hacks below:
- Make sure to use a branded image as your profile picture.
- Write a clear and crisp bio that describes your businesses.
- Add a link to your Twitter bio to drive audiences to your website.
- If you wish to build more authority, get your account verified.
- Make sure to link your Twitter profile to other places like different social channels and email signatures.
There’s a famous saying- “A goal without a plan is just a wish.”
Planning is the key ingredient to success. Even on social media, you should always come up with a plan. And Twitter is nothing without a plan or strategy.
Understanding how Twitter works and creating a strategy that aligns with your marketing goals can help you succeed.
But, how can you start building an actionable twitter strategy? We’ve mentioned some proven tips below:
- Start with an account audit. If you already have a business profile on Twitter, first review it to gather information like- What’s the engagement rate? What content received the most likes? How often do you tweet? How many followers do you have?
You can use Twitter analytics or other social media analytics like Hootsuite, Obrelo to analyze your existing account.
- Once you’ve reviewed your existing account, focus on setting a clear goal. For example, you may want to drive an audience from Twitter to your website. Or, maybe you want to generate inbound leads from Twitter.
Whatever goal you set, ensure it aligns with your business goals and can be measurable and relevant.
- While creating a strategy or plan for your Twitter account, don’t forget your competitors. Audit their accounts to understand what USP your business has.
- Plan your content on Twitter to engage your audience. Make sure your content matches the voice and personality of your brand.
- Measure how often and when you should post. Including a content calendar in your strategy can help you stay consistent.
- Lastly, gather meaningful insights from Twitter analytics to evaluate your strategy.
One tweet has a lifespan of 15-20 minutes!
The Twitter algorithm works so fast that what you tweeted one hour ago may not appear on your followers’ feed. That’s why to win Twitter; you should post as frequently as possible.
According to Hootsuite, posting 1-2 tweets (not more than 3-5 tweets) per day is ideal for reaching your audience. However, if you’re using any post scheduler tool, you can even tweet 100 times a day. It really doesn’t matter as long as you’ve got time.
For instance, Hootsuite stated that their content team posts one thread of 7-8 tweets daily on their general @Hotsuite channel. But, on their @hootsuitebusiness channel, they tweet 1-2 times daily.
Lastly, no matter how often you’re posting on Twitter, make sure to experiment with the content to drive more engagement.
If you’re using Twitter for business, scheduling tweets in advance can work wonders for you.
When you schedule tweets, you can plan out great content weeks or months in advance. In short, you can save a lot of time to craft and publish content on Twitter by scheduling tweets.
But before using a scheduling tool to plan your content, consider following these tips for better results:
- While scheduling tweets, keep your locations in mind. For example, if your business is based in Japan, make sure to follow Japan’s time zones to reach the right audience.
- Figure out when your target audience stays active the most. Posting when your audience is more likely to be active increases the chance of getting high engagement.
- Schedule your future tweets to get better results based on Twitter analytics.
You can use different social media management tools like Hootsuite, Buffer, Publer, SproutSocial to schedule all your tweets in advance.
Sometimes, it can be challenging to tell a story, express your thoughts, or share information within 280 characters.
This is where Twitter threads come to the rescue. Threads lets you share your content in a series of connected tweets and helps you get massive reach.
In fact, according to Buffer, Twitter threads perform better than link tweets. And to prove this point, Buffer ran a Twitter thread experiment in 2018. Where they found:
- Twitter threads get more impressions than tweets with a link. On average, the thread gained 63% more impressions.
- Twitter threads get more engagement.
So, needless to say, you can easily use Twitter threads to repurpose your blog content or other social media posts. It will definitely help you reach a wider audience.
Your follower count is important for your brand, but engagement matters more!
If you don’t invest time to interact with the audience, you won’t be able to build a strong relationship. Your Twitter interaction with other accounts tells how much you care about your followers or customers.
Instead of posting tweets every day like a machine, showcase your brand’s humane side by interacting with the audience.
By “engage with other Twitter accounts,” we’re referring to retweeting, responding, or mentioning your followers’ posts.
When you engage with other tweets, they’ll be more interested to know what you’re tweeting about. Also, conversing with other Twitter users increases the chance to gain more visibility in the Twitter feed of others.
Here’s an example of how Slack created a separate Twitter account to retweet others’ posts:
After your Twitter Bio, the first thing your follower will notice about your profile is your pinned tweet.
Pinned tweets are tweets that stay on the top of your Twitter profile. Pinned tweets remain static on your profile regardless of what you tweet after that.
A pinned tweet is more important than your entire profile because it gives an idea about the quality of your content. Also, pinned tweets are a great way to explain your product, service, or the businesses you’re promoting.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you pin a tweet:
- Head to your Twitter profile.
- Select a tweet you wish to pin.
- Click on the three dots.
- Click “Pin to your profile page.”
And that’s it! It will pin your tweet on the top of your profile.
Lastly, remember to pin a tweet that has some good engagement. Also, to grab your audience’s attention, make sure to add eye-catching images and a strong call-to-action.
As per Twitter Business’s report, people spend 26% more time viewing ads on Twitter than any other social platform.
Nothing can beat Twitter ads when it comes to conversion rates and costs.
The platform is extremely targeted with ads. With keyword targeting, you can target specific users. You can even measure the engagement of the ad to improve your marketing campaigns.
And most importantly, Twitter ads are affordable. According to Rialto Marketing, promoted tweets cost around $0.50 to $2.00 for every action. For promoted accounts, you need to pay $2 to $4. The average cost of Twitter ads is $0.38.
So, as you can see, advertising on Twitter is a perfect win for businesses.
10. Analyze Your Performance And Optimize Accordingly
With Twitter analytics, you can constantly track how many likes or views your tweets are getting every day.
Twitter analytics allows you to understand what your audience finds the most relatable- images, hashtags, or links. You can measure tweet impressions, engagement, clicks, and various other engagement metrics based on the analytics.
The in-built tool helps you understand your tweet performance using graphs and reports. Knowing these rich insights can help you analyze your content. As a result, you can optimize your profile and Twitter marketing strategy for the future.
That’s how you can use Twitter for your business.
No matter what industry you belong to, Twitter can be the most powerful tool to promote your business. The platform will bring great results if you consistently engage with your audience and post quality content.
So, go ahead and use your 280 characters strategically. And if you achieve success using the strategies we’ve mentioned here, don’t forget to share your experience with us in the comments below!
Till then, keep tweeting!