Instagram makes a lot of things easy. Posting a snap of a great location. Uploading a random video on IGTV, or even posting about your day or future plans on Instagram Stories. Unfortunately, a throwback to your liked content isn’t easy.
It feels like posts that get a heart from you get lost into the abyss. Fortunately, there is a hidden place that has all your liked content. You have to go through some extra hoops to get to it.
Before we move on let’s see how to like posts and stories on Instagram:
Liking or reacting to content on Instagram
Fortunately liking posts and stories on Instagram isn’t a chore. It’s simple and easy enough to be intuitive.
How to like photo and video posts on Instagram
- Open the Instagram app on your iPhone or Android smartphone or on your computer’s browser
- Log in with your username and password
- Your home feed opens up and it has numerous video and photos from people you follow
- You can also hit the Search button on the top right corner to go through trending posts
- Each post has three buttons under it in the shape of a heart, a text bubble and an arrow
- Hit that heart button or double tap on the post to like it
How to like photo and video posts of specific people on Instagram
- Open the Instagram app on your iPhone or Android smartphone or on your computer’s browser and log in with your username and password
- Tap on your photo at the bottom-right corner from the menu bar
- Tap on Followers or Following to browse through your followers and people you follow
- Open up the profile page of the person you want and leave a heart on their posts
- If you want to like the post of someone who isn’t on the list, you can search for their username on Instagram and go to their profile to like their posts
- This doesn’t work if someone has made their profile private and you don’t follow them
How to like or react to Instagram stories:
You can’t leave a heart or “like” an Instagram story in the conventional sense. However, you can react to it and let the uploader know how you feel about it.
- Open the Instagram app on your smartphone or web browser on your computer and log in with your details
- At the top, you can see Instagram stories from friends and followers
- Open a story and tap on “Send Message” at the bottom of the screen
- You can type in a message or leaves quick emoticon reaction from the list
- You can also reply back with a photo or a video
How to find liked Instagram posts
- Sign in to your Instagram account on the app on your Android smartphone or iPhone. Unfortunately, you can’t see the posts you’ve liked on Instagram from your computer
- Tap on your picture at the bottom-right corner
- Open the menu by tapping on the three horizontal line icon at the top-right corner
- Tap on Settings at the bottom of the menu
- Go to Account>Posts You’ve Liked to see the posts you have liked on Instagram
Benefits of going through previously liked posts on Instagram
- It allows you to follow Instagrammers whose posts you have liked on ‘The Explore’ tab
- Read the long captions of posts you scrolled through while leaving a like
- Leave a comment on a post you have liked
- Follow a discussion on a comment you left on a previously liked post
- Revisit the great products you saw on a previously liked post
Likes aren’t just appreciation for the posts made by people on Instagram. They are bookmarks that allow you to make better use of this social media platform.
Your revisits of liked posts on Instagram has limitations
According to Instagram, you are limited to revisiting 300 of your like posts. That’s a lot for an average user who hits up Instagram occasionally and leaves a like or two. However, for a power user who scrolls through Instagram all day and likes hundreds of posts, this limitation is very restrictive. Also check; “How to get more likes on Instagram”
Moreover, this feature is available on the mobile app and you can’t access the history of your liked posts on your computer. Keep in mind that you can only see the posts you have liked and can’t access the history of posts where you have commented without leaving a heart. Those posts are lost to the Internet.
Why did Instagram remove like counts?
Likes have been the currency of social media for a while now and it makes young people compete with each other and creates pressure on most platforms. Instagram is experimenting with the feature and has already implemented it in several countries including Canada, Italy, Australia, and Japan.
According to Adam Mosseri, the CEO of Instagram, the platform is removing likes “to try and depressurize Instagram, make it less of a competition, give people more space to focus on connecting with people that they love, things that inspire them.”
While the policy seems noble, strong critics have voiced their opinions. They argue that when Instagram removes public engagement metrics it can lead to less engagement for both influencers and brands. Moreover, they have also suggested the decision to be profit-motivated. In an Instagram free from likes, companies would have no option but to reach out to their audience by buying ads off Instagram.
ConclusionInstagram is a great platform that has been a part of the big social media revolution. It has changed the way people and brands interact with each other. While most of the platform is intuitive, it lacks some basic features that exist on other social media platforms like its big brother Facebook. Make sure to double-tap a post if you wish to revisit that post later. Even if your primary intention is to comment on a post later when you have free time, you better make that heart red.
Famoid Blog – 2020