On Tumblr, people express themselves in all sorts of ways. Some use GIFs, others use photos, and many use videos. As an active Tumblr user, you’ve likely seen a video on the site and connected with it in some way. Maybe it was a favorite video that made you laugh or maybe it helped get you through a tough time. While you could easily show your support for the content by reblogging it, maybe you’ve wished there was a way you could keep it for yourself. Maybe you’ve found yourself wondering how to download Tumblr videos to your device to refer back to later or share across other social media platforms. Well, there happen to be a number of ways for you to do exactly that.
How to Download Tumblr Videos
Let’s take a look at your step-by-step guide on all of your options for downloading Tumblr videos.
How to Save Tumblr Videos
Saving Video Directly from Tumblr
The first method of downloading videos from Tumblr is probably the simplest and most straightforward, making it great for users who are looking to save several videos as quickly as possible.
- Step 1: Find the video on Tumblr that you want to download.
- Step 2: Right click on the video and select ‘Save video as’ from the drop-down menu.
- Step 3: The ‘Save As’ box will automatically pop up in your browser. Choose the location on your device where you would like to save the video and click ‘Save’.
Tumblr video downloaders
Another one of your options for downloading videos from Tumblr is to use an online video downloading program, like TubeOffline or Experts PHP. Below you’ll find a breakdown of exactly how to use these tools to download your Tumblr videos.
- Step 1: Go to the Tumblr video you would like to save.
- Step 2: Click the three grey dots in the top right corner and select ‘Copy link’.
- Step 3: In another tab, open your video downloading software of choice. We will use Experts PHP as an example.
- Step 4: On the Experts PHP homepage, paste the Tumblr video link in the white text box.
- Step 5: Click ‘Download’.
- Step 6: After a moment, you will be directed to a page with two available downloads: one of your video’s thumbnail in image format (.jpg) and one of your full video in 720p. Click ‘Download Link’ next to the 720p.
- Step 7: Your video will automatically start playing in the browser. In the bottom right corner, click the three grey dots and select ‘Download’.
- Step 8: Your download should pop up at the bottom of your browser in the Downloads bar. Click the file to verify that the video will play properly on your computer.
- Step 9: Once you’ve ensured the video is working as a file on your computer, go to your Downloads folder.
- Step 10: Once you have located the video download in your Downloads folder, move it to your desired location on your device.
Want to download Tumblr videos directly on your phone as opposed to your computer? Fortunately, there are mobile apps that allow you to do exactly that. If you use an Android device, you can use the Tumbloader app. If you own an iPhone or iPad with iOS, you can opt for the Tyblr app, which actually allows you to log into your Tumblr account instead of the official app. Keep in mind that this type of third-party app may put some of your data at risk, so use it carefully.
- Step 1: Start by downloading your app of choice onto your mobile device.
- Step 2: Browse the Tumblr app until you find the video you would like to save.
- Step 3: Once you’ve found the video, click on the ‘Share’ button and select the app as your sharing platform option.
- Step 4: Click on the ‘Download’ button to download the video to your phone.
- Step 5: Go to your Downloads folder on your mobile device and find the video you have just saved.
The final method of downloading Tumblr videos to your personal device is perhaps the most time-consuming, but it still does the trick. Plus, it keeps you from having to use external websites or third-party apps, which may be appealing to some users. Here is how to download videos from Tumblr using Google Chrome.
- Step 1: Open Tumblr in your Google Chrome browser.
- Step 2: Browse the site as you normally would until you find the video you would like to download.
- Step 3: Click the ‘Share’ button and then click the ‘Permalink’ button
- Step 4: Your video will automatically open in a new tab. Once it does, right click the video and select ‘View frame source’ from the dropdown menu.
- Step 5: Once the frame source window opens with the video’s code, search for the link with the tag “video_file” by pressing Ctrl + F (on PC) or Command + F (on Mac) and typing “video_file” in the search bar.
- Step 6: When you find the correct link, right click it and select ‘Save as’ from the dropdown menu.
- Step 7: Find the location on your computer where you would like to save the video and click ‘Save’.
So, there you have it: four easy ways to get videos from Tumblr. Depending on what you are using the video for or what type of device you would like to save it to, one of these options may suit you better than others, so be sure to keep your intent in mind when selecting your download method. Also see How to Turn off safe mode on Tumblr.
Also, be mindful that, while these tools make it easier than ever to download Tumblr videos and share them across multiple platforms, you should avoid passing these videos off as your own. To avoid any controversy or illegal action, always credit the creator of the videos when downloading for personal use and sharing to other platforms. You’ll not only be able to enjoy the content you are downloading and sharing, but you’ll know you’re doing so in an ethical way.
Famoid Blog – 2020