World’s second most-visited website, with more than 14 billion monthly visits, YouTube is a platform you must leverage this year!
This popular platform is a great way to grow your business, gain online visibility, and build a brand.
However, if you don’t already have a YouTube channel, it can be a real hassle for you.
But don’t worry, we’ve got your back.
In this post, we’ll show you how to create a YouTube channel (step by step) and will also share some tips on how you can easily optimize your channel for maximum growth.
So, without further ado, dig in!
Why Should You Create a YouTube Channel?
If you think YouTube is only for watching video clips of old movies or songs, you’re mistaking big time!
One of the most popular search engines, YouTube, has so much potential to grow your business and drive new leads. With more than 1.7 billion monthly active users, you can use the platform to reach a wide range of audiences efficiently. According to Hootsuite, YouTube can reach 2 billion audiences, that’s 32% of the total population!
Moreover, if we look at the stats, 88% of people said they’d like to see more videos from brands in 2022. And over 99% of marketers said they’ll use video for marketing.
Based on the stats above, it’s safe to say that videos are the future, and brands and marketers should take advantage of using a platform like YouTube.
Another reason why you should create a YouTube channel is versatility. YouTube lets you upload any kind of content. You can create educational videos to sell your course how-to tutorials to describe your product. Or entertaining videos to drive more engagement.
This versatility and flexibility make YouTube the number one choice for creators and brands.
Apart from your business, YouTube can be a great source of extra income. You can leverage YouTube’s partner program to monetize your channel and earn revenues.
And that’s why YouTubers like PewDiePie, Mr. Beast, and Nastya uses the platform to earn millions from their followers.
How to Create a YouTube Channel (Step-By-Step guide)
Here we’re going to explain how to set up a YouTube channel in two simple ways:
- Using your Google account.
- Without your Google account.
So, let’s get started with way number one without further ado.
1. Using your Google account.
If you already have a Google account, create your YouTube channel following these quick and easy steps:
Step 1. Go to YouTube.com and select “sign-in,” located on the top-right side of your screen.
Step 2. Now log in using your Google account (the one you’d like your YouTube channel to be associated with).
Step 3. Now head to the top-right corner of your desktop and select the profile icon.
Step 4. From the drop-down menu, click on Create a channel option.
Step 5. You’ll have two options- create a channel using a brand or company name or a personal channel.
Step 6. Now give your channel a cool and memorable name
After creating your channel, you can further customize it by uploading profile images, descriptions, banners, and links to other social sites.
2. Without a Google Account
If you don’t have a google account, the first step would be to create one. To do this:
Step 1. Go to YouTube.com.
Step 2. Click on “sign-in.”
Step 3. Now select the option to create a google account.
Step 4. Follow the given steps to create an account.
Once you’re all set with your Google account, follow the steps mentioned above to create a YouTube channel.
8 Things to do Right After Creating Your YouTube Channel
Now that you’ve learned how to create a YouTube channel, it’s time to explore what to do after.
Here we’ve mentioned 8 things you can do right after creating your channel to give you tangible results.
1. Add a Crystal Clear Profile Picture or Company Logo
Do you know that people need 5 to 7 impressions to remember your brand on average?
That means you have to focus on your YouTube channel branding to make yourself memorable.
Your profile picture will represent your face on YouTube. Whenever a user visits your channel, they’ll first see your profile picture. So, make sure to pay extra attention to your profile picture.
And for YouTube profile pictures, most YouTubers go with fun or professional headshot. You can also use your company logo as a profile picture that reflects your brand’s personality.
However, choosing an attractive profile image isn’t as easy as it sounds. That’s why the following tips on YouTube profile picture will make sure you make the most of your profile image:
- As per YouTube the ideal profile image size is 800px X 800px (1:1 ratio).
- If you’ve logged in on YouTube with your Google account, changing your profile image on YouTube will change your Google account’s profile photo.
- To be consistent with your brand identity, ensure you’re using the same company logo or your headshot as a profile picture across all social media platforms.
- You can place your company logo in the middle of YouTube’s profile image circle. This will give your profile lots of whitespaces and a more clutter-free look.
- You can also use bright colors in the background of your brand’s logo to make it look impactful.
- You can design your YouTube profile image with apps like Canva, Adobe, and PicMonkey.
Now let’s talk about some YouTube channels that are killing it with their profile picture on YouTube.
Backlinko‘s founder Brain Dean uses his headshot as his profile picture on YouTube. He uses the same picture across all social media channels to keep it consistent.
2. Create a Stunning Channel Art
Many people think YouTube’s channel art and profile picture are the same things!
And if you have got the same confusion, let us break this to you- channel art is known as the YouTube banner (looks like a Facebook cover) and not a profile picture.
Your channel art is a part of your brand identity. It helps you explain what your YouTube channel is all about. You can easily communicate with your subscribers with the banner or channel art.
And most importantly, as soon as your followers land on your channel, they notice the banner after your profile image. That’s why never miss the opportunity to create attention-grabbing channel art.
Here are some tips you can follow to get the maximum impact from your YouTube channel art:
- According to youiTube the ideal size for a banner or channel art is 2560px X 1440px.
- YouTube will display the central portion of 1546px X 423px of the image you’ll select as the banner in every device. So, make sure to keep your brand’s logo, text, or any pomage in the middle area.
- To grab your audiences’ attention, ensure the image you’re choosing for the channel art has a clean design. Whether it’s a logo, brand tagline, or picture of you, the less cluttered it is, always the better.
- Grab your audience’s attention with bold text and vibrant colors.
- There are tons of YouTube channel art maker tools available in the market, such as Adobe Spark, Canva, Snappa, Crello, etc.
When it comes to the YouTube channel art, we can’t help but mention Shopify’s YouTube channel.
Their brand name is prominently visible on their channel art, so followers can easily recognize the brand. Also, the background color makes the banner more visually attractive.
3. Write a Good Description For Your Channel
Just like the about page of your website, YouTube’s description helps you tell what your channel is about. You can explain what types of content your viewers can expect from your channel using the description.
The primary purpose of a good channel description is to turn your one-time viewers into loyal subscribers. Also, YouTube’s algorithm helps your audience find your channel searching for a YouTube channel just like yours.
So, with that in mind, here are some hacks and tips you can try to write a good description for your YouTube channel:
- The obvious yet crucial thing to do in the description section is to describe your channel to people.
Here you can explain what the niches of your content are. How frequently can they expect you to post? What are the values you’re proving through your videos? How can your videos help them solve a problem?
- In the description, make sure to add links to your website and social media platforms. I
- You’ll never get what you want if you don’t ask! That means you should always add a direct CTA (Call-to-Action).
Do you want them to visit your website? Subscribe to your channel? Perhaps, you want them to purchase your course. Whatever you want your viewers to do, adding a CTA will convince them to do it.
- Make sure to add the right keywords to the description, This will help the YouTube algorithm understand what your channel is about.
- Write the description conversationally. If you make the description too formal, your audience may skim through it.
- Lastly, don’t forget to add your brand’s voice to the description.
For example, you can check out the channel description for HubSpot Marketing. They’ve briefly explained what you can learn from their channel along with an intro about their company.
4. Verify Your YouTube account
Verifying your YouTube account lets people know that your channel is an official account. Also, it ensures that you’re not a bot or imposter that’ll spam your audiences’ YouTube platform.
When you open your account for the first time, YouTube asks you to add your phone number to verify your account. You’ll receive a message or voice call on your given number to complete the verification process.
After the verification, you can post your content over 15 minutes long, go live, add thumbnails, and appeal content ID claims.
This first step to verifying your YouTube account is crucial if you want to monetize your channel.
After verifying your account, you can ask YouTube to verify your channel and give you a verification badge. This verification badge will act as social proof that your channel is original.
And to apply for verification, you can follow these simple steps below:
- Head to the YouTube Support page.
- If your channel is eligible for verification, click on the Apply Now button, and it’ll open the application form.
- Once you get the form, fill it up with your channel name and id.
- After that, click on the Submit button.
- After submitting, YouTube will send you an email notification confirming the verification. It may take a few weeks to get your account verified.
Verifying your YouTube channel depends on various factors, for instance:
- You must have at least 100,000 subscribers to apply for a verification badge.
- Does your channel represent a brand, organization, or individual creator?
- Is this channel constantly uploading quality contempt?
- Does your channel have a proper profile icon and description?
Here’s an example of how American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift has verified her YouTube account:
5. Create and upload a channel trailer
For users who haven’t subscribed to your channel yet, the channel trailer gives you an excellent opportunity to make a first impression. By showing a mini trailer about your content, you can encourage them to subscribe.
In addition, you can use the channel trailer feature to showcase the most popular video on your channel. You can also use it to post your latest video to announce a launch or upcoming events.
The best thing about the channel trailer is it automatically starts to play when non-subscribers visit your channel. You can set up a channel trailer on YouTube using these simple steps:
- Upload the video you wish to see in the channel trailer.
- Head to the channel you want to manage.
- Click on Customize channel.
- Head to the Home tab.
- Select For new visitors tab.
- Click on Edit.
- Click on “Change trailer” or “remove trailer.”
Here’s a heads up. When you’re uploading your channel trailer, note that the trailer section helps you describe your brand’s personality. So, upload content that hooks your viewers within a few seconds.
For example, here’s how singer Camila Cabello used the YouTube channel trailer feature to promote the release of her latest music video, “Bam Bam.”
6. Add Links to Your Site
If you want to drive traffic to your site, showcase your website link in your channel. You can add a link to your website on your YouTube channel so your channel visitors can notice it.
If you run a blog on your site, embed your YouTube videos into the blog posts. You can even add a CTA to your blog and ask your audience to subscribe to your channel.
Moreover, if you’re part of YouTube’s partner program, you can directly add links to your videos with the YouTube cards feature.
Here’s how you can add links to your website channel:
- Log into YouTube Creator studio.
- Click on Customization.
- Under the Channel Customization tab, click on Basic info.
- Under the Links section, click on Add Link.
- Now mention the name of your website in the Link title box. In the URL section, type your website address.
- Now Links on banner > Links drop-down menu > First link. If it’s not the first link to your YouTube profile banner, you can select Frist 2 links or 3 links accordingly.
- Click on Publish. And then Go to Channel to see the changes you’ve made in the banner.
How to Add Links to Websites or Blogs:
- Select the video you want to embed.
- Under the video, click on Share.
- Click on the embed icon in the pop-up menu.
- Select the HTML code and then copy.
- Now head to your sire and click Control+V to paste the code into your site’s HTML
And that’s it! Following these steps, you can easily add links to your site.
7. Add Your Contact Information
There’s no point in using YouTube as a way to market your product or business if you don’t provide an option for your audience to contact you. Your audience can use the constant information to ask you some personal queries about your product, services, or content.
That’s why you can share your business mail address on your YouTube channel to let your subscribers reach out to you or your company.
To add your contact email address on your channels:
- Go to your YouTube account and click on your profile icon.
- From the drop-down menu, click on YouTube Studio.
- Now scroll down in the left sidebar and click on Customization.
- Head to the Basic info tab, scroll down, and you’ll notice the “Contact info” section.
- Fill in your email address and hit publish to make changes.
8. Find Out a List of Content Ideas And Start Posting Videos
Assuming you already know your niche and target audience on YouTube, here are some ways you can find out good content ideas for your videos:
- Check out your target audience’s questions on forums like Quora and Reddit.
- What problems are they facing?
- How can your content provide a solution for them? Asking such questions will help you find great content ideas.
- Search on google to see what terms people are searching the most. You can also check out the “People also ask” section for inspiration.
- Leverage YouTube SEO to look for content ideas.
- Use keyword research tools like BuzzSumo, SEMrush, and Ahrefs to find new ideas.
Let’s face it! Every YouTube channel won’t make it big! Or, every creator won’t be successful like Mr. Beast or Pewdiepie!
But one thing we can assure you is that a well-optimized YouTube channel can help every YouTuber drive organic leads and loyal customers from the platform.
All you need to do is, use it the right way!
We hope now you know how to create a YouTube channel and optimize it for massive growth.
Have you created your YouTube channel yet? Let us know in the comments below.