According to the Pew Research Centre, Facebook is still one of the dominant social media platforms on the internet and has users from a wide spectrum of demographics. Moreover, at least three-quarters of Facebook users log into the site at least once a day. It’s no wonder that polls help to engage your audience on Facebook and gauge their preferences, interests, and generate feedback.
What are Facebook Polls?
Facebook Polls are one of the widely used features of the social media platform. It enables you to ask questions to your audience and conduct a personal survey. The subject or topic of this poll can be anything as long as it doesn’t violate Facebook’s guidelines. When you create a poll for your page you are usually limited to just two options that your audience must choose from. However, for group polls the options are unlimited and users participating in the poll can add their own options. So, what’s the benefit of these polls?
Advantages of Facebook Polls
1. Enhanced engagement on the platform – Like Google, Facebook has its own algorithm which impacts the visibility of your posts. It may be due to the nature of your content or your audience’s disinterest in them. You can use Facebook Polls to test out those things and increase your brand engagement with your audience.
2. Your follower’s opinions – Before SEO, SMO, multichannel marketing, and other such complex digital marketing strategies, brands relied on polls and focus groups as their primary resource. It is still relevant to this day since polls allow you to obtain valuable data relevant to your brand. You can conduct polls on Facebook to know what your users like, how they feel about your brand and make suggestions on improvements.
3. Increases the reach of your posts – Polls usually engage more people. So, the Facebook algorithm favors posts with polls and allows you to reach more people.
4. Attracts Attention – Images, Memes, and Videos are shared by almost everybody on social media platforms. They are usually scrolled away or get a glance for a few seconds. Instead, you can break the monotonous routine and capture your follower’s attention by creating a poll. Also see when to post on Facebook.
How to create a Facebook Poll?
There are a number of ways to create a Facebook poll. These are listed below:
Polls on Business or Personal Page
- Log into your account
- Click on the box that says, “What’s on your mind?”
- If you are accessing your page through a browser on your laptop or desktop, you can open up the full menu by clicking on the ellipsis. You will see Poll among various options that include Photo/Videos, tag Friends, and more. If you are on the mobile app you would get the full menu in a drop-down pop-up and need to scroll down till you find it.
- Here you will find a large box that says, “Ask Something” followed by smaller option boxes. You can ask your question or the topic of your poll on the large box and fill up the options boxes with choices that you want. You can also add pictures or GIFs as your options.
- Next, you need to select Duration from the drop-down list and choose among the four available options. The options include a day, a week, never, or custom. The final option allows you to choose the date your poll needs. After you are done with this click on OK.
- Finally, click on Post, to post the poll on your page. Also see how to adjust your polls for your business.
Polls on an Event Page
- Log into your Facebook Account
- On the left pane, click on Events. If you are using the mobile app you can find Events tab near the top
- Select the desired event you want
- At the top of Create Post box, click on Create a Poll
- You can type in your question in this box and fill up options in the option boxes below. Similar to creating a poll on a personal or business page, these options allow you to add pictures and GIFs as well
- You can also add more options by clicking on “+Add Option” down below the option boxes
- Click on Poll Options
- By default “Allow Anyone to Add Options” and “Allow People to Choose Multiple Options” are enabled
- You can clear them out if you don’t want to allow your audience to add more option or choose multiple options
- Finally, click on Post to post the poll or you can select “Schedule Post” from the Post drop-down arrow to make your poll go live at a desired time
Polls in Messenger
Many of us are part of a group in Facebook Messenger. It may be a group of friends or business connections. Facebook Messenger allows you to create polls as well. Follow the steps below to do so:
- Go to your target group conversation in Facebook Messenger
- If you are using a desktop browser, you will find Create a Poll option at the bottom of the messenger window. In the mobile Messenger app, you will find it in the pop-up menu from the + button at the bottom left corner
- Type your question in the “Ask Something” box and select “+Add Option” to fill up your poll choices
- Tap on Create Poll to share the poll with your group
Options in Poll
Apart from adding pictures and GIFs, you also get options to tag friends, location, and even events in your polls. For instance, if you post a poll in your friend’s group to ask about their decision to watch a movie, you can tag the event page of that movie and tag location of the theatre you may visit.
Creating polls on Facebook allows individuals, influencers, or brands to know about the interests of their audience, their opinions, and adjust their strategy accordingly. Even if you aren’t a brand or marketer, polls can be really convenient in various situations. Using a poll is better than personally asking 50 or 100 people to attend an interesting seminar or a fun event. As a brand or an influencer you can be more effective in your marketing strategy by analyzing the results from your polls.
Famoid Blog – 2020