Instagram is continuously introducing new features that allow Instagram users to showcase their content, such as photos, videos more interestingly and creatively.
In March 2018, Instagram first-time introduced the new exciting advancement, i.e. music feature, and it allows you to add soundtracks to your Instagram stories along with photos, videos or whatever other content you want to publish.
Using the Instagram music feature, you can express your feelings with your followers musically.
There are lots of customization that you can do with the music feature, such as it will also give you an option to add lyrics for a selected soundtrack that will reflect on your Instagram story.
Instagram has a built-in library from where you can select music tracks to directly add to your Instagram stories. Moreover, you can also add music to your Instagram stories from third-party applications like Spotify, Apple Music, and SoundCloud.
But the question is: How to add music to Instagram stories?
In this guide, we’re going to show you a step-by-step process on how to put music on Instagram story and after reading this complete guide, you can easily add music to your Instagram stories directly from Instagram and third-party applications.
We’re also going to address the most common questions related to the Instagram music feature. If you’re facing trouble with the music feature and looking for ways to resolve then this guide is for you.
How to Put Music On Instagram Stories
The process for adding music to Instagram stories is the same whether you’re using Android or iPhone.
Here is the step-by-step process that you can follow to add a music track from direct Instagram. And side by side we will also show you some customization options to make your story more engaging:
- First, log in to your Instagram account and click on the plus icon (+) from the top bar of your dashboard. After clicking on it to select the story option from the bottom navigation menu.
- Click on add to story option and swipe on the left side and it will open the camera for you. From here, you can directly shoot an image or video that you want to publish on your Instagram story along with a music track.
- If you don’t want to take a direct shoot from the camera, then you can include photos or videos from your gallery. To do this, just swipe up to upload a story from the gallery, then select the photo or video that you want to add to your Instagram story.
- Apply filter or effects which you want for your Instagram story.
- Now you’re ready to include music and for this tap on the sticker icon from the top of the screen.
- Scroll your screen down and here select a music sticker.
- Use the search bar and enter the name of the music track, artist, or album that you want to add to your Instagram story or simply scroll the music library to find a perfect music track.
- You can also browse music tracks using various sections like mood, genre or what’s popular.
- After making a selection for a music track, tap the play button and it will give you a preview of the selected music track.
- You can only include music tracks for up to 15 seconds, so Instagram allows you to select a 15-second clip from the entire music track. For selecting a music clip, scroll over the music track and select a portion of 15 seconds that you want to put on your Instagram story.
- Now click on the thumbnail option and from here, you can change the album icon or add lyrics if you want to show them on your Instagram story.
- You can also select the desired font and colour for lyrics as per your taste.
- After doing all these customizations, simply click on a done button from the top and it will add the selected track to your Instagram story.
- Before publishing a story on Instagram, you can fix the position for music sticker or lyrics. Simply drag the icon or lyrics and drop it on the area where you want to place it.
- You can also rotate or resize the music stickers as per requirements.
- Once you are done with all settings, click on send to option from the bottom bar and it will post your story on Instagram.
Now, the music track will automatically play whenever your friends or followers will see your Instagram story.
How to Add Music to Instagram Story from a Third-party application?
Do you know that you can also add music tracks from third-party applications like Spotify, SoundCloud or Apple Music?
YES! Instagram allows you to add music from other music hosting companies as well. This feature is perfect for Spotify, SoundCloud or Apple Music lovers because using this you can directly upload your favorite music tracks from these applications.
Here is the list of steps that you can follow to add music to your Instagram story from Spotify:
- Open the Spotify application.
- Select the music track which you want to play over your Instagram story.
- On the top of the screen, you will see three horizontal dots click on it.
- Scroll down the page and press the share button.
- Now it will show you a list of different platforms where you can share your selected music track, here select Instagram stories.
- After selecting Instagram, the page with redirect you to the Instagram story’s page and the selected music track will appear here along with cover art.
- Now, you can customize and add photos, text, emoji or other effects that you want to see in your Instagram story.
- From the bottom of the screen, select send to option and it will post your story on Instagram along with your selected music track from Spotify.
Once your story is published on Instagram, keep in mind that selected music from the third-party application i.e Spotify will not directly play with your story because It will only work as a link.
When someone views your story, they will see the “play on Spotify” option and it will redirect them to the Spotify app and plays the music track in Spotify.
If you want to add music from other third-party applications such as Apple Music or SoundCloud. Then all other steps will remain the same apart from the first step.
In the first step, you just have to log in to the application from where you want to add music to your Instagram story and It can be Apple Music or SoundCloud. After logging in, follow the same steps that we have discussed above for Spotify.
Why Can’t You Add Music to My Instagram Stories?
Are you not able to add music to your Instagram stories or face some troubles with the music feature?
Don’t worry! We’re here to address such kinds of issues. If your music feature is not working or certain songs are unavailable, then you should have a look at the following point to troubleshoot such issues.
Always Use The Latest Version
Before you add music to your Instagram stories, make sure that your Instagram application is up-to-date. In case you’re using the oldest version, then probably you can face issues with the music feature. So the best way to get out of this situation is to update your Instagram to the newest version.
Do You Have a Business Account?
If you’re trying to add music to your Instagram stories from a business account, but cannot add it. Then your business account can be the reason for this issue because some music tracks are prohibited for business accounts. So in this case, you can switch to a regular Instagram account instead of a business if it is possible for you.
Music Feature is Not Available in Your Region?
Instagram has launched a music feature for selected countries only. If you’re living in a country where Instagram has not launched a music feature yet, then you cannot be able to add music to your Instagram stories. Here, there is no alternative. You can wait until Instagram officially launches music features in your region.
Some songs are not available
If you’re trying to add a specific song and it is not available in the Instagram library, then there can be two reasons for this. One is song is not legal, hence there is no way to add restricted songs to Instagram stories.
Another reason can be that you’re trying to add a song that has not been added to the Instagram music library yet. Instagram continuously working on adding new tracks daily, but still some tracks are not uploaded yet. Here, you can select other songs from the music library or you can insert songs from third-party applications.
Music tracks are a great way to publish more attractive content on Instagram.
I hope now you have a clear idea of how to add music on Instagram stories from the music library or third-party applications.
We have also discussed the reasons, in case your music feature is not working. If you’re facing such troubles, then follow our recommendation to troubleshoot the music feature issues.