If you’re a gamer or you enjoy watching live streams, you’re likely familiar with Twitch. This online streaming service allows users to watch and stream digital video broadcasts. Although its original focus was on video game streams, Twitch has expanded over the years to include streams dedicated to various crafts, including artwork creation, talk shows, music, and sometimes even TV series.
Since its launch in 2011, the platform has become widely popular, boasting over 2 million unique users each month. Roughly 17,000 of these users even make money off the platform as streamers by charging subscription fees to their channels and placing paid advertisements through the Twitch Partner program. Twitch was purchased by Amazon in 2014 and generates some of the highest levels of Internet traffic in North America. Users can access the platform through their Internet browsers or any Twitch apps available for iOS and Android devices and gaming consoles like Xbox 360, Xbox One, Sony PlayStation 3, and 4 Roku, Google Chromecast, and Amazon Fire TV.
Twitch Paid Memberships
While you can use the platform free of charge, Twitch does offer two tiers of paid membership plans: Twitch Turbo and Twitch Prime. For $8.99 a month, Twitch Turbo provides users with an ad-free viewing experience, a Twitch Turbo chat badge, extended broadcast storage (60 days rather than just 14 days), and more added benefits. Twitch Prime, on the other hand, is linked through your Amazon Prime account.
This type of membership gets you a free monthly subscription to any channel of your choice (at the $4.99 per month level only), exclusive chat privileges, and free games (which you get to keep and loot forever – you need the Twitch desktop app to use them). Twitch Prime benefits go hand in hand with all the other Amazon Prime membership benefits, including Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Prime Music, and free two-day shipping from Amazon marketplace.
While there are several benefits to the Twitch Prime plan, you may find yourself looking to cancel your membership. Maybe you need to cut back on costs or just aren’t using the plan’s added perks as much as you once did. Perhaps you’ve decided that the platform isn’t for you. Whatever your reasoning, you can cancel your Twitch Prime membership at any time by following the simple steps outlined in this guide. Remember that this is not a guide on how to cancel channel subscriptions but how to balance your Twitch Prime membership altogether.
How to Cancel Twitch Prime Subscription
Option 1: Disconnecting from Amazon Prime
Here is the step-by-step process for canceling your Twitch Prime account through your Internet browser without canceling your other Amazon Prime services.
- Go to the Twitch website and log into your Twitch account.
- Click on the Profile icon in the top right-hand corner of your screen.
- Select ‘Settings’ from the dropdown menu.
- After redirection to the Settings page, click the ‘Connections’ tab.
- Your Amazon account should appear on the page. Click the grey ‘Disconnect’ button next to it.
- A pop-up window will appear asking you to confirm the disconnection. Click ‘Yes, disconnect’ to proceed.
In disconnecting your Twitch account from your Amazon Prime account, you will automatically cancel your Twitch Prime membership, and you will downgrade to a basic unpaid version.
Option 2: Canceling Amazon Prime Subscription
Another way to cancel Twitch Prime is by canceling your Amazon Prime account altogether. Bear in mind that, in doing this, you will not only lose the perks of Twitch Prime but also of Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Prime Music, and the free two-day shipping. If you feel confident you no longer want any of the Amazon Prime services, including Twitch Prime, here is how to cancel.
- Go to the Amazon website and log into your Amazon Prime account.
- Scroll down to Settings.
- Click on ‘Manage Prime Membership.’
- Select the option to cancel the membership.
Option 3: Contacting Twitch Customer Service Support
If you encounter any unexpected issues when using the previous methods to try and cancel or downgrade your plan, you can always contact Twitch’s customer service department for support services. Their team of experts will gladly assist you in canceling your membership.
- Visit the Twitch Contact Support page.
- You will need to fill out the contact form to describe the nature of your inquiry. First, fill out your name, Twitch username, and the email address associated with your account.
- Under ‘Category’, select ‘Account/Login issues’.
- Under ‘Sub-category’, select ‘Delete/deactivate account (Twitch login required)’ from the dropdown menu.
- Enter your username and password to log in.
- Once you have returned to the Contact form page, write ‘Cancel Membership’ or something similar in the ‘Subject’ line.
- In the ‘Description’ text box, provide a brief explanation that you would like some assistance in canceling your Twitch Prime membership.
- Under ‘Platform/OS where the issue is experienced’, select your platform or operating system from the dropdown menu.
- In the Captcha box, tick off “I am not a robot”.
- Click ‘Submit’.
Thanks for reading our blog post. We hope this information will help you to solve the issue.
Famoid Blog – 2021